Monday, October 25, 2010

Transportation

I think that the United States is not only oil dependent but car dependent as well.  The two go hand in hand that since oil used to be cheap American's could afford their own car and then people craved the independence that goes along with your own personal car to drive whenever and where ever you want.  Transportation management and congestion are a major issue for cities.  Traffic causes environmental issues with air pollution,  health problems one example being asthma,  and social stress from commuting long distances to work.

Another reason we have become dependent on cars is due to  how we have created our build environment.  We have not been every wise city planners, with sprawling cities and outlining suburbs.  People living in the suburbs need to drive cars if the city's public transportation system doesn't go that far out.  As of 2000 from the Roseland book, 88% or daily commuter use private vehicles and less then 5% of all commuters travel by public transportation.  If we centralized housing and have extensive mass transportation maybe people will feel the need to drive less.    To centralize housing, and have it be in the cities we need to have affordable housing in cities. One reason that people move farther and farther out of the cities is that land  and housing is cheaper.

The Bloomington has several good reports and plan on how to improve transportation in Bloomington. In particular I like the Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation and Greenways System Plan.  I am excited for the B-Line trail that is currently underway, that is connecting bicycle pathways. The B-Line trail will connect the Bloomington Rail Trail and the Clear Creek Trail to have a connected bike path through downtown Bloomington and into the surrounding areas.   If your interested you can get information on the B-Line trail at this link: B-Line Trail

I think that Bloomington is well on their way to being a sustainable community but still need improvements in transportation. I think that the bus system should be extended or have the bus system and another mass transit system such as the use of trolleys using electricity instead of gas. One idea to get cars off the roads is to install a trolley or some mass transit system and not allow cars within downtown Bloomington. This could lead to having less congestion, car accidents, and have the city be more walkable and bike friendly.


I am fortunate to live only a mile away from IU and have a choice between riding my bike or taking the bus. I live on the east side of campus off of 10th st. I have had a great experience with the bus system but I know of some friends who live further out who say the bus isn't reliable.  I would like the bike path that I take to be improved.  From the intersection at Pete Ellis and 10th st. I take a bike path that is right next to the railroad, the issue with the path is that is leads you to the By-pass with no crosswalk. So I have to wait for there to be no traffic on either side of the street and you know that hardly ever happens especially around rush hour.  I heard proposed plans that a tunnel was going to be built there for bikes to go under the B-Pass, which would be pretty cool.  




No comments:

Post a Comment