From the conclusion of the class, from connecting all that I have learned I have formulated my own definition of a sustainable community. My definition of Sustainable Community:
A subsistence group of self-reliant people meeting present and future social, environmental and economic needs, with the capacity to increase quality of life without negatively effecting the environment.

I enjoyed being in this class and would definitely recommend others to take it. At times it was depressing as we discussed all of the current environmental problem in the world (which to me seemed to be endless). But the class was also inspirational as we read about success stories, how people globally see the value of conserving and acting in sustainable ways. The books and reading we did for class was stimulating and I am planning on keeping my books. I like how throughout the course we have been acting sustainable by having a paper-less class and using the blogs instead. This was my first time using Blogger but thanks to the help of my fellow classmates I figured out all of the different features such as inserting pictures and embedding videos. As for our group projects, working with BCOS was a beneficial experience to see how city organizations run, increasing my communication and group work skills, and hopefully made a positive impact in the Bloomington community.
I agree that at times I was really down (particularly after Friedman's lecture), but there was enough good news that it offset the bad news. A definite must!
ReplyDeleteI think that since there is enough good news we have all this hope and aspirations to get involved in projects and work towards more successes.
ReplyDelete